Prep 1 hr. Cook 20 mins
- 1 package Duff’s Chocolate Cake Mix (18.25 oz)
- 1 1⁄3 cups cooled coffee or 1 1⁄3 cups water if preferred
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
Frosting of your choice
- In a large mixing bowl, add dessert mix, eggs, water (or coffee) and oil. Beat with mixer on low until all flour is moistened, then beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Divide into 24 paper muffin liners that have been sprayed with non-stick spray for easy removal from cakes. Bake at 325 degrees (25 less than the box calls for) for 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk until there are no lumps. Heat milk and flour over Medium-Low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens to a gravy consistency. Remove from hot pan into a cool bowl and cover with saran. Allow to cool to room temperature. A cool water bath or refrigeration will speed up this process.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and granulated sugar about 5 minutes. Add cooled milk-flour gravy and beat until fluffy and granulated sugar is dissolved completely, about another 5 minutes. Be sure to scrape your bowl and beater so that the grains of sugar at the top will be beaten in and dissolved. If in doubt, whip more. Now add vanilla and powdered sugar and whip well.
- Once cupcakes are fully cooled, place filling in a frosting bag with a large star tip and press the tip down into the middle of each cake, about ¾ of an inch deep. Lift out the tip and repeat with each cake.
- Frost tops of cupcakes with frosting of your choice.
- Store in airtight container